On Monday, November 17, 2003, at 11:51 AM, Michael Stassen wrote:

I'm glad this worked for you, but now I'm confused. The manual clearly indicates the use of quotes around the password. See <http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Option_files.html>. The "typical user option file" starts with

  [client]
  # The following password will be sent to all standard MySQL clients
  password="my_password"

On the same page it also says:

  option=value
      This is equivalent to --option=value on the command-line. Please
      note that you must quote an argument using double quotes, if the
      argument for an option contains a comment character.

(Comment characters are # and ;) My reading of this is that quotes, though not always required, should always work. Furthermore, quotes are required in certain circumstances (special characters in password). This is how it works for me. I have quotes around my password in .my.cnf, and it works. (No, my password doesn't contain quotes, though I've tried a password that does contain a quote. It didn't make any difference.) I can remove the quotes and it still works, so long as my password doesn't contain a comment character.

On the other hand, Randall's problem was fixed by removing the quotes. Perhaps a certain character (or characters) in a password make quotes not work? If so, the manual should be fixed to reflect this.

Ed, you seem certain that quotes are incorrect, contrary to the manual. Perhaps you could elaborate?

I remember first trying this with quotes as indicated in the manual, and it didn't work. On a hunch I removed the quotes, thinking that it would then resemble the command-line format better. This worked. I left it that way, figuring that the manual was worded incorrectly; i.e., that double-quotes were only to be used when the password contained comment characters.

I'm using 4.1.0-alpha running on RH *, if that makes any difference.

Linux Love:
unzip;strip;touch;finger;mount;fsck;more;yes;umount;sleep