> Mysterious.  I assume `mysql -p` prompts you for root's password and
> works as expected, since without -p it says you're not using a password,
> rather than saying there's something wrong with the password.

Yes, that works.

> When you tried the defaults-file option, did you use the full path?
> That is,
>
>  mysql --defaults-file=/private/var/root/.my.cnf

Yes.

> My best guess at this point is that mysql is not finding .my.cnf.
> Perhaps there's a problem with root's $HOME environment variable?  For
> example, I'm using Mac OS X 10.2.8.  Root's $HOME says /var/root, but as
> /var is a symlink to /private/var, the real home directory is
> /private/var/root.  That's fine, as long as the symlink is there.
> Without the symlink, I'd get the same thing as you from mysql (and a lot
> of other stuff wouldn't work).

cat $HOME/.my.cnf
[client]
password="rootpassword"

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql --defaults-file=$HOME/.my.cnf
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: YES)

> If this is not the case, using `cat $HOME/.my.cnf` should give the same
> result you got using the full path.
Yes

> You could also simply `echo $HOME`
> to see if it's set correctly.
echo $HOME
/var/root

> The only other thing I can imagine is that mysql is somehow set to
> ignore the defaults files.  Did you build from source or install one of
> the packages?  Which version mysql?  Which OS?
Mac OS 10.2.3. Maybe Panther has an issue with the build?

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -V
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql  Ver 12.21 Distrib 4.0.14, for apple-darwin6.4
(powerpc)

--
Randall Perry
sysTame