I can't believe I'm saying this, but MySQL may not be the db of choice for your
particular app...

I figure you have few options:

1- keep db structure same, keep mysql, suffer performance issues
2- keep db structure, switch db, suffer migration costs
3- change db structure, keep mysql, suffer app modification
4- change db structure, switch db, suffer migration and app mod

I know it sounds like nihlistic (sp?), that all of your options involve suffering, but
I'm guessing that this is an organically grown app architecture, that it didn't start
off with 50,000 tables.

IMHO, your app is at a classic architecture inflection point, where you need to either
redesign it, or truss it up with hardware changes.

PS What about the idea of setting up a MySQL cluster, so that hopefully, various
access will be spread out, and therefore file access... don't know about this one, but
it's a though....