Hi,

I'm trying to install (compile, since there are no binaries for this system)
MySQL on an SCO OPenServer 5.0.6 system.

Prior to compiling MySQL, I installed the following packages for SCO :

 FSU Pthreads (ver 3.9)
 GNU Development Tools (ver 5.0.7Kj)
 Netscape Communicator (ver 4.7.0e)
 OSS631B - Supplemental Graphics, Web and X11 Libraries (ver 1.2.1)
 SCO OpenServer Enterprise System (ver 5.0.6j)
 SCO OpenServer Linker and Application Development Libraries (ver 5.1.2A)
 SCO SendMail (ver 8.11.0)
 OSS635A: Graphical Environment Supplement for OpenServer 5.0.6 (ver 1.0.0)
 OSS646B - Execution Environment Supplement (ver 1.1.0j)
 RS506A: Release Supplement for SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.6 (ver rs506a)
 RS506A: Software Manager Supplement (ver rs506a)
 USB Supplement (ver 1.0a)

I followed the manual for compiling and installing MySQL. MySQL compiles
just fine. I can use the compiled client to connect to databases running on
W2K and linux servers.

When I start the server (mysqld-safe --user=mysql --log &), it seems to
start fine : Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/mysql/var

Err log : 031120 10:35:55  mysqld started

Log : /var/opt/K/SCO/Unix/5.0.6Ga/usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld, Version:
4.0.16-log,
 started with:
Tcp port: 3306  Unix socket: /tmp/mysql.sock
Time                 Id Command    Argument

The socket is there, but when I start "mysql" it just hangs there
forever....
When I try "msqladmin status" it also hangs, but when I stop it, I get

# mysqladmin status

mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock'
(4)
'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock' exists!

It's there :
# l /tmp/mysq*
prwxrwxrwx   1 mysql    mysql          0 Nov 20 10:35 /tmp/mysql.sock
#

Any help would be appreciated,

Stefaan Van Dooren              .--.
Technical Support              |o_o |