Dear MySQL

Firstly, let me say, I am very new to this.
Secondly, I have been reading Larry Ullman's book PHP and MySQL to get started.

I have installed PHP fine, and it is working well.
I have followed the instructions for MySQL and it has installed a folder in my:
usr/local/ folder called mysql-standard-4.0.15-apple-darwin6.4-powerpc with a shortcut to this folder called mysql.

The book I'm reading states I should do the following to set permissions:
cd /usr/local/mysql
sudo echo
sudo bin/mysqld_safe &

I do this and I get this result:
Last login: Thu Nov 20 10:44:51 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
[Rob-Snows-Computer:~] robsnow% cd /usr/local/mysql
[Rob-Snows-Computer:/usr/local/mysql] robsnow% sudo echo
Password:

[Rob-Snows-Computer:/usr/local/mysql] robsnow% sudo bin/mysqld_safe &
[1] 3254
[Rob-Snows-Computer:/usr/local/mysql] robsnow% Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/mysql/data
031120 11:01:23 mysqld ended

[1] Done sudo bin/mysqld_safe
[Rob-Snows-Computer:/usr/local/mysql] robsnow% bin/mysqladmin -u root password '•••••••'
bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (61)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock' exists!
[Rob-Snows-Computer:/usr/local/mysql] robsnow%

The doesn't have any work arounds to this problem, and I cannot go any further with the tutorials without mySQL running/working.
I do a test and I get this result in a browser:

Warning : Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (61) in /Users/robsnow/Sites/mysql_test.php on line 2

Warning : MySQL Connection Failed: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (61) in /Users/robsnow/Sites/mysql_test.php on line 2

Larry Ullman's books states it should have the following result, and he uses the same installer I did:

Last login: Thu Nov 20 10:44:51 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
[Rob-Snows-Computer:~] robsnow% cd /usr/local/mysql
[Rob-Snows-Computer:/usr/local/mysql] robsnow% sudo echo
Password:

[Rob-Snows-Computer:/usr/local/mysql] robsnow% sudo bin/mysqld_safe &
[1] 3254

[Rob-Snows-Computer:/usr/local/mysql] robsnow% bin/mysqladmin -u root password '•••••••'
[Rob-Snows-Computer:/usr/local/mysql] robsnow%

For some reason my run states that the mysql has ended, should this be so?
Can you please give me any advise on how to check that mySQL is running, how to check the version, and any answers to why I'm getting these errors?
I would be most grateful for your assistance.

Rob Snow

Rob Snow
"Space may be the final frontier
But its made in a Hollywood basement"
RHCP 'Californiacation - Californiacation 1999'

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://homepage.mac.com/robsnow