At 21:43 +0000 11/22/03, Rob Snow wrote:
OK
Some development with the initial problem.
I have two OS X OS's running 10.2.6
My main one I installed the mySQL on and am having trouble with is still not working.
As a test I installed mySQL on my second on and went through the configuration straight after installation. Everything this time worked I could run it set the password, etc. I went into mysql and tried setting the following as described in Larry Ullman's book:

CREATE DATABASE alpacas;
(this worked fine)

CREATE DATABASE movies;
(this worked fine)

Then the book says to create a new user with the following:

GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE, DROP, ALTER, INDEX, FILE ON alpacas.* TO <user_name>@localhost IDENTIFIED BY '<password>';
(this then stated that the wrong syntax was being used, ?)

If you typed the < and > around the username, that would be an error. I assume you didn't do that.

If the error was
ERROR 1221: Wrong usage of DB GRANT and GLOBAL PRIVILEGES
that would be because you're trying to grant FILE at the database level.
FILE is a global privilege.  Try this, using two separate statements.

GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE, DROP, ALTER, INDEX ON
alpacas.* TO [EMAIL PROTECTED] IDENTIFIED BY '<password>';

GRANT FILE ON *.* TO [EMAIL PROTECTED];

Even though: GRANT SELECT ON alpacas.* TO webuser@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'BroWs1ng';

worked fine. So I seem to have two problems.
1) Even though I deleted all the obvious files for mysql on the original system, it is still recognising the original install and not giving my access.

I don't understand what you mean. You've deleted the obvious files, but the server is still running and refusing to let you connect to it?

How can I clear all the install, and/or delete the server that is using the sock? The only other option I can think of is reinstalling my entire os and starting again, as any re-install of mysql has the same result.)
2) I have looked at the manual for mysql and the syntax that Larry Ullman gives seems to be correct, so why doesn't the grant command above work, do I need to append it with the -uroot -p command so what?

--
Paul DuBois, Senior Technical Writer
Madison, Wisconsin, USA

Are you MySQL certified? http://www.mysql.com/certification/