First off, I'd like to say hello. I just signed up for the list today.

I'm having some weird things happen on my slave server. I'll give more details in a second, but to sum it up, its creating thousands of 'host-relay-bin' files and the 'host.err' file is getting filled with what looks like some sort of status/debug information.

Now for the gory details: My master server is a Mac OS X Server 10.1.5 machine running mysql 4.0.16. It has 'log-bin' enabled, the 'max_binlog_size' is 268435456 and the 'server-id' is 1. The slave server is a Mac OS X Server 10.3.1 box running the installed mysql of version 4.0.14. I've tried compiling and running my own 4.0.16 version and it does the same thing. On the slave server I have 'log-bin' disabled (by commenting that line out), the 'max_binlog_size' is 268435456, the 'max_relay_log_size' is 268435456 and the 'server-id' is 2. I also have all the slave info in the my.cnf file. All of this used to work, before I upgraded the machine. Prior to the upgrade it was on Mac OS X Server 10.1.5 and mysql 4.0.16. To perform the upgrade I wiped the HD and clean installed the new OS and moved the old my.cnf file to the new install - I seriously mean and convict that I did not change anything in this file during the upgrade.

So, here are the problems in more detail. The 'host-relay-bin.xxx' files are growing uncontrollably. Sometimes it actually cleans them up, i.e., it deletes them, but most of the time is leaves them hanging around. I left the slave server 'alone' for about 6 hours and when I came back there were 40k relay-bin files in the /var/mysql dir - yikes! The next problem is that the host.err file is getting filled up with some stuff I've never seen before. I can't figure out how often its dumping the info to the host.err file, but it happens quite often. As an example: I cleaned up everything and 're-synced' the master and slave. The slave has been running for about 5 minutes now. The host.err file is already 300k and the the relay-bin file is at 490. Thankfully its in one of its moods of actually deleting the other relay-bin files... Here is an example of the stuff getting written to the host.err file on the slave server:

<start>
Status information:

Current dir: /var/mysql/
Current locks:
key_cache status:
blocks used:         4
not flushed:         0
w_requests:          0
writes:              0
r_requests:          0
reads:               0

handler status:
read_key:            0
read_next:           0
read_rnd             0
read_first:          0
write:               0
delete               0
update:              0

Table status:
Opened tables:          0
Open tables:            0
Open files:             4
Open streams:           0

Alarm status:
Active alarms:   1
Max used alarms: 1
Next alarm time: 3600
</start>

My questions are: Why aren't the relay-bin files maxing out to the setting I have in the my.cnf file (set-variable = max_relay_log_size=268435456). What is and how do I stop the 'status' information shown above from getting dumped to the host.err file?