Gerald,

> How closely does the MySQL Service on Win32 platforms conform to any known
> standard for installing/removing services?

> I raise the question because the vendor that provides the utility we use to
> create our installation package claims that MySQL uses non-standard commands
> for installing and removing services. As a result, they say, we cannot
> expect their program to install or remove the service.

> The irony is ... their program **does** install the service. It just can't
> stop the service and remove it.

> We use a third-party installer because we package the six databases our
> software suite requires with MySQL.

I'm not sure I'm getting what you're after, but here's what MySQL
does:

shell> mysqld --install # installs a service with the name Mysql
shell> mysqld --install MyMySQL # installs a service with the name MyMySQL
shell> mysqld --remove # removes a service with the default name (Mysql)
shell> NET START Mysql # starts the service called Mysql
shell> NET STOP Mysql # stops the service called Mysql

"shell>" would be something like "c:\mysql\bin>", depending on where
you've installed MySQL. "mysqld" may as well be a different flavour of
the MySQL server, e.g. "mysqld-max-nt".

What "--install" does is write a couple of entries to the Windows
registry, and "--remove" will delete those entries. I don't know
whether that procedure is considered "standard" on Windows systems or
not; if it isn't, you might want to have a look at what "--install"
actually writes, and then use a standard way of writing those entries
(using a .reg file or whatever).

Regards,
--
  Stefan Hinz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>