Matthew,

I really don't understand the question. Apostrophes must be properly
escaped when text is inserted into the MySQL db, but any perl script will
easily do this for you. You may convert to HTML at the same time.

If the database gives nothing but a path to a *.txt source then your HTML
code should invoke a cgi script which in turn pulls a pathname from the
database, gets the data from the file, converts it to HTML and returns it
to the httpd.

Sorry, but I can't be more specific

Thomas Spahni