We have moved a production application over to a MySQL database and are
experiencing some issues.  I'm not the database guy myself, but thought
I'd try the list to see if we could get some help.

The application does general business functions such as AR/AP/SO
Entry/Payroll, etc.

The system is functioning well and normally under light loads.

We have had multiple instances where the server response time degregates
to the point that it seems locked up.  It might take an hour to return a
record for a simple query.  The condition is brought on by load.  The
best example is today when we committed to restructure a small table
(<4000 records) and remove the null fields and replace them with zeros.
We use the InnoDB file system.

Top shows

Iowait 90%

Cpu 10%

Idle 0%

The machine has 1 gb of physical memory.  I'm not a real linux guru.
Size shows something like 1.4gb and RSS shows like 750 Mb for the mysql
process.

Wesley Baker