Thanks to all who responded to my query. Had I read a bit more of the mySQL
manual, I would have seen exactly what I needed (section 4.4.5).

The only problem was that the mySQL monitor has to be run from the same
computer on which mySQL is running; yesterday I disconnected the screen from
my linux server and stuck the computer on top of a cupboard. So now I had to
shut it down, move it to my workbench, connect a screen, start the computer,
type in the 'grant' commands, shut down the computer, disconnect the screen,
move the server back to the cupboard, and start it up again.

Now my simple Delphi program works! Hurray!