Greetings,

Firstly I have searched the archives and received exactly 0 results
returned for 'START SLAVE 1064' so...

I have a mysql server I wish to replicate, its running 3.23.54.  I have
two test FreeBSD 5.1 servers I installed and from ports version
3.23.58.  I completed the following steps to setup replication.

I followed the steps in the documentation on mysql.com, made the
necessary my.conf modification, archived and imported my test db to the
slave, defined the master config w/ 'change master to....' on the
slave.

Everything worked well up to this point, but if I execute 'START SLAVE'
on my slave I get

ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'START SLAVE' at
line 1

This tells me that my version of mysql does not support the 'START'
command.  Do I need to add something at compile time?  Are the
instructions only for 4.x?  Am I just missing something really obvious?

Thank you for your time in advance,

Andrew