Hopefully someone can help me out with this -

I have two tables in mySQL: comments and diary

I want to populate a new field in comments with the current values of diary
- but only if they meet certain criteria.

Now, the problem is this - my webserver is using an older version of mySQL
that doesn't support UPDATEs from multiple tables (that's not possible until
v4.0.4) and unfortunately, them updating the install isn't a possibility. I
know if it was v4.0.4+ I could juse use:

UPDATE comments,diary
SET comments.diary_date=diary.date
WHERE comments.refid=diary.ID

I also don't think I can use sub-selects in queries either.

Btw - I'm currently running v3.23.58.

Thanks for any help!

-M