Hi all, while reading through some of the MySQL docs, I noticed the following paragraph:

|ALTER TABLE| works by making a temporary copy of the original table. The alteration is performed on the copy, then the original table is deleted and the new one is renamed. This is done in such a way that all updates are automatically redirected to the new table without any failed updates. While |ALTER TABLE| is executing, the original table is readable by other clients. Updates and writes to the table are stalled until the new table is ready.

This seems a bit confusing. On one hand, it says that updates don't fail, but on the other hand it says they are stalled until ALTER TABLE is done executing. Am I going blind/loosing my mind (a possibility I am open to) or do others agree with me?

Regards,

Chris