Hi,

> > So far, it seems that MySQL, MaxDB, PostgreSQL, and Interbase/Firebird
are
> > possible candidates.
> >
> > Does anyone know why we should or should not use any of these?  Does
anyone
> > know of other possibilities?
>
> I was very disappointed by Interbase/Firebird. It seemed to me like a
> MS-Access: a database-engine that works on regular files

What gave you that idea? Firebird (and InterBase of course) use
a at least 1 file per database, but that's all. Can you define
"regular files"?

> OK, there is a network-server component, but it really has nothing to do
> with an enterprise-DB.

There's a server side process waiting for incoming connections
just like with MySQL, MS SQL Server, Oracle etc etc...

What exactly are you missing in Firebird?

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Server.
Upscene Productions