Hello,

    I'm investigating a performance problem with mysql server set up.
    The server is running linux with 1GB ram. I'ld like to tune the
    configuration of the server to use as much RAM as possible without
    swapping to the disc because of the big slow down.

    The current configuration is as follows (I've just pasted the
    relevant pieces):

[mysqld]
skip-innodb
skip-locking
set-variable    = key_buffer=16M
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=200M
set-variable    = thread_stack=128K
bind-address    = 127.0.0.1
port        = 3306
skip-networking
set-variable = query_cache_type=1
set-variable = query_cache_size=64M
set-variable = tmp_table_size=50M

    The main purpose of the database is a heavily modified forum
    application based on vBulletin.

    One of the biggest table is the 'post' table with consumes about
    617M currently; this table is often used in queries for index pages
    which are the most frequent visited pages; indexes for the relevant
    column in the WHERE statement are all created. The next tables in
    size are using 22M and most of them much less.

    I'm also having problems in determining accurately how much memory
    MySQL uses when running on the system; the information provided by
    ps doesn't seem relieable due the many processes/threads. Getting
    the currently used memory and whether MySQL needed to swap would be
    very valueable in chasing down this issue.

    I'm also not sure whether the database is swapping temporary tables
    to the disc or not; is there a way to verify if this is happening?

    Other beneficial things would be to know how much memory certain
    queries need (mostly the queries on index pages).

    Besides more physical memory, are the other ways to better tune the
    server for the 1GB ram? What performance analyses tool are
    recommended for use with MySQL?

    thanks for any advice,

    - Markus