I have a MySQL replication slave running 3.23.52 on a
2.4.18 linux box with 1.2GHz P3 and 512MB of memory.

The box serves three web servers and runs at about 70
queries per second most of the time, with system load
at about 0.5

MySQL is the precompiled RPM from mysql.com

Recently I tried to replace this box with a Sun Netra T1
with a 500MHz Ultrasparc, 2GB of RAM running Solaris 8
Once again I used the precompiled binaries from mysql.com.

The system load under this setup was 50-75!!

I realise Solaris is likely to be slower than Linux,
but loading of this level seems excessive.

Can anybody suggest what might be the problem?

Many thanks,

Chris Allen.

Linux my.cnf:

[mysqld]
server-id       = 2
skip-locking
set-variable    = max_connections=400
set-variable    = back_log=20
set-variable    = key_buffer=150M
set-variable    = table_cache=256
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=1M
set-variable    = sort_buffer=1M
set-variable    = record_buffer=1M
set-variable    = myisam_sort_buffer_size=64M
set-variable    = thread_cache=16
set-variable    = long_query_time=4
master-host     = ****
master-user     = ****
master-password = ****

Solaris my.cnf:

[mysqld]
server-id       = 4
skip-locking
set-variable    = net_buffer_length=8K
set-variable    = max_connections=400
set-variable    = back_log=50
set-variable    = key_buffer=640M
set-variable    = table_cache=128
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=1M
set-variable    = sort_buffer=2M
set-variable    = record_buffer=2M
set-variable    = myisam_sort_buffer_size=64M
set-variable    = thread_cache=24