At 10:55 AM 12/17/2003, you wrote:
MySQL checks the IP address of the user connecting to it's server. It then
does a Reverse DNS lookup on that IP address, to get the name associated
with it (there is only one name associated with any IP, the rest are just
aliases)

Suppose we wanted to associate a batch of queries with a cname, is there a way to do that? In other words, if I have both foo.mysite.com and bar.mysite.com, on a host called baz.mysite.com, and I want to restrict access to some tables to foo, and to other databases to bar, is there something I can do at the cname level? (Obviously I can restrict access to specific users - that's the next level of security down.)

ari