Caroline Jen wrote:
Hi, I am not a database person.  I have a database
called "members".  One of the fields in this database
is "user_name".   There are a number of records in
this database.  Under the field user_name, I would
like to make some changes manually; for example, I
want to change

John Doe

john_doe

Is it possible to do it?  How do I do it?  Thank you
very much in advance.

Yes. You can specify the records you want with a WHERE clause. First try a SELECT to test your WHERE clause to make sure you get just the record(s) you want:

SELECT * FROM members WHERE user_name = 'John Doe';

As long as that looks right, then use UPDATE to modify the record(s):

UPDATE members SET user_name='john_doe' WHERE user_name = 'John Doe';

See <http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/UPDATE.html> in the manual for more.

Michael