On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 04:43:07PM +0200, Warren Burstein wrote:

> I am running mysql Ver 12.20 Distrib 4.0.13, for pc-linux (i686) on
> RedHat 6.2 (so shoot me, I'm using an old scratch computer so I
> won't break anything on the real development machine)
>
> I tried to create a user by inserting directly into mysql.user.

Why?

The GRANT command is what you probably ought to be using.  Anyway...

> When I set user.host to localhost, it works, when I set it to % it
> doesn't.  I thought % matched anything, and so should match
> localhost.  In case I've missed something in the docs, please direct
> me to the correct page.

It's a little funky, but MySQL treads TCP connections differently than
local unix socket connections.  Using the "%" wildcard will match any
host or IP address connecting via TCP, but not via the local socket.
Because the local socket is local, localhost is really the only
possibility.

Jeremy
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/