I have a table 'message' in the MySQL database.  To
make it simple; say, I have three fields in that
table: thread_ID, thread_topic, and thread_body.

The thread_ID field is AUTO_INCREMENT; therefore, I do
not insert any value into that column.  The value of
that field starts with 1 when the first row is
inserted.

Now, I have the values for thread_topic and
thread_body and want to insert those values into the
'message' table to create the first record in that
table.

1. where and how do I indicate that there is a problem
insert a row into the table 'message'?

2. Do I code this way:

protected static void create(String threadTopic,
String threadBody) throws CreateException,
DatabaseException, ForeignKeyNotFoundException
{
   StringBuffer sb = new StringBuffer(512);
   sb.append("INSERT INTO " + message
                     + "(thread_topic, thread_body)");
   sb.append(" VALUES (?, ?)");
   try
   {
      Connection conn =
DBConnection.getDBConnection();
      Statement stmt =
conn.createStatement(sb.toString());
      stmt.setString(1, threadTopic);
      stmt.setString(2, threadBody);
   }
   catch(SQLException sqle)
   {
      sqle.printStackTrace();
      throw new DatabaseException("Error executing SQL
in ThreadHelper.create.");
   }
   finally
   {