Yes, a cron job will make the solution more robust.

I'm new to *classic* client-server DB apps and I'm still amazed for a so standard
issue I have to find tricks.

Particularly I wonder at this:
standard SQL commands exist to assign (GRANT) and remove (REVOKE) privileges,
but there is not a SQL command to query current privileges.