At 12:44 AM 12/27/2003, Michael Stassen wrote:
You're welcome. I did suggest some (not very elegant) SQL in my first note. I take it that didn't turn out to be useful. It's possible that if you were to describe why not, someone could make a better suggestion. Of course, I suppose you may have already solved this in Delphi.

mos wrote:

Chris & Michael,
Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping it could be done in SQL without using Perl since I don't have any experience with it. But I can use some of the ideas you gave me to create a Delphi program quick enough. Thanks again. :)
Mike

Mike,
        Thanks again for your insight. Re: your SQL solution:

>>Perhaps we can take advantage of what we know about your data. I will pretend your table is named "table1" and your column with the letters is named "code". If I understand you correctly, the code column has some number of capital letters followed by 2 or 3 lower case letters. If that's true, I think we could do this in 2 updates, like this:<<

Unfortunately there could be more than 2 or 3 lowercase letters. (That's my fault for not explaining the scope of the problem more thoroughly).
Example: "Ab" or "Abcdfg" or "ABCDEFg" or "ABCDEFghijk" etc.

Instead of writing a Perl script which I don't know or have (but I have used PHP though), I would find it easier to roll my own Delphi program to do it. I'm a bit lazy and was hoping the MySQL functions could do it in SQL only, but it looks like that's not possible. Thanks again for the effort. :-)

Mike