http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Clients.html#mysql_real_query
> > that

[snip]

http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/index.html#mysql_real_escape_string

> >     I didn't notice this function before. That and mysql_real_query()
don't
> > seem to be written with each other in mind. It even encodes the '\0',
which
> > mysql_real_query() is said to be able to deal w/. In fact, why should I
need
> > to use mysql_real_query() over mysql_query() if I use
> > mysql_real_escape_string()?

[snip]

    It seems there's a little more to it than this. Also like a character
string, a character string-encoded blob has to be enclosed in single quotes.
Early on I tried double quotes, then when that didn't work, I went through a
very long process of trying long strings of decimal numbers, with varied
result, many of which didn't generate an error even. When I finally hit on
single quotes, it came together. I remember fighting for rather a long time
w/SQL a few years ago over the single quote problem w/character strings, but
that was different from blobs. I really wish the documentation I read was
clearer about handling blobs.
    Well, thanks for putting me on the right track.