On Dec 28, 2003, at 4:49 AM, Adam Jones wrote:

When building Access DBs, I write VB code, SQL, develop DBs using 3rd N.F. and build lovely forms for data entry, print outs, reports etc, etc.

After examing MySQL's material, I don't see any forms like I use in Access. So what GUI should I use and how do I link the SQL to things like command buttons, check boxes, drop-down list etc?

You could use Access. ;-)

MySQL is a database; Access is a database with a form and report designer. With MySQL you can use any front end you like that can 'talk' to the database engine.

In my case, I used Visual FoxPro for many years, because of its pure object-oriented design tools, but I got tired of being limited by the file-based data access of products like VFP and Access and the limited security of those products. I now use VFP as the front end and MySQL as the back end exclusively, and my apps are better than they ever were. I have a powerful object-oriented design tool that allows me to create not only the GUI for my apps, but also has the power to create a strong middle tier of business objects that contain the logic that governs the data.

I'd recommend VFP, but if you are already fluent in Access, you would probably be better off using that for your GUI. You connect to the data via ODBC or OleDB, and then use the data normally. And if you ever move away from the world of Windows development, there are several choices on Linux and OS X that I'm sure others will chime in with.

Linux Love:
unzip;strip;touch;finger;mount;fsck;more;yes;umount;sleep