It is not optimized.  It is optimizeable, not the same thing.  However, you need to
know exacly what are the compiler flags to optimize it.  If you run on x86, you are
better of with the binary or the .rpm.  No offense, but people who compile at mysql
are a lot better than you and me to get the best flags.

hth
Ugo