you need a smeicolon at the end of the line

Don Matlock wrote:
Thank you very much for the prompt reply.
Yes you were correct, it was the fact that the password had not been
entered at all...I did the mysql -u root -p
when prompted for the password I just hit enter and was able to get in.

Now I have to figure out why its not accepting the password.  I type the
following command as root in mysql:

Your MySQL connection id is 12 to server version: 3.23.49-log

mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'localhost' = PASSWORD 'xxxxxx'

This is exactly how I typed it in...(just copied and pasted)
When I hit enter with that password...I just get a prompt...no
confirmation the password was accepted or anything.
Did I type in the command for the pass wrong?
Don