On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Marc Dver wrote:

> Based on the collective experiences of the members of this group, what
> are the best methods for learning mysql, both from the perspective of
> certification and of learning enough to excel in the production
> environment?  My interests include both the specifics of mysql and the
> general concepts behind the use and administration of databases in
> general.

I really like Paul DuBois' book; MySQL
The Core certification is a pretty good way to test yourself, and quite a
few I've talked to that has taken it said that just by cramming for the
actual certification exam they learned lots of new things and little tips.

As for general concepts C.J Date's 'An Introduction to Database Systems'
is by many considered the bible for relational databases.