Here're a couple of tables:

create table company(CompanyID varchar(32),...);

create table contact(CompanyId varchar(32),...
   INDEX (CompanyID),
   FOREIGN KEY (CompanyID) REFERENCES company(CompanyID);

Now, my expectation is that if contact has a CompanyID but it does
not
match one already existing in company, an insert fails. But, I also
have the expectation that if contact does not have a companyID, the
insert should succeed. Is this right or wrong?

Second, (oh no, it's that null question again!) what constitues not
having a company ID? Does the field have to be set specifically to
NULL or does an empty string work? Right now, my code is taking a
value from a form and assigning it to a field object. A connection
object then does an insert using the field object as a parameter.
Therefore, if the form company ID field is blank, the value assigned
to the field object is an empty string... not the null \N. In fact,
I'm not sure I can even change this

Thanks.

Randy