Hi!

I am trying to connect MySQL Database to COBOL. I have made it possible to some stages
by the way
as follows; I have developed this under;
Client: Microsoft Windows 2000 Service pack 4.
CA-Realia COBOL Compiler Version 6.0.45
Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 6.00.8168
MySQL server 4.0.17-max in SUSE Linux,

MySQL provides set of C API to interact with MySQL database, to link the functions to
the compiler
it provides a library file "libmysql.lib". COBOL has the External subroutine featurs
to CALL the
program written in other languages.

When I try to link existing libmysql.lib file directly to the COBOL compiler it won’t
recognize
it. So I have prepared a COBOL compiler specific library file from the corresponding
libmysql.dll
file, in such a way. (The libmysql.dll I have used to create COBOL compiler specific
libmysql.lib
is gathered from Mysql 4.0.17-max-debug for windows, in my localhost)

The COBOL compiler specific libmysql.lib is linked successfully to the COBOL Compiler
and I have
written some subroutine call to the function related to database connection from
COBOL. Such that
mysql_init, mysql_real_connect, mysql_real_query, mysql_error and mysql_close.

Here mysql_init requires a Null pointer argument and return the MySQL handle back.

mysql_real_connect use that MySQL handle with additional arguments host name, userid,
password, DB
name, port number, socket and flag to establish connection to the specified database.

In my case mysql_init return a handle to mysql_real_connect, but instead of connection
establishment to MySQL it shows runtime error in COBOL as
        RDB0104E: Interrupt trapped: Illegal storage access.

And store an error message in variable’s memory space as;
        Unknown MySQL Server host

So I want to have suggestion regarding the following;
1.      ‘Unknwon MySQL server host’ means it could not able to recognize the
particular Host what I
have mentioned or anything else?
2.      For the socket parameter in mysql_real_connect I have passed NULL value. Is it
correct?
3.      I have prepared the COBOL compiler specific libmysql.lib from libmysql.dll
which I have taken
from Windows as per the suggestions read from MySQL documentation. – is this correct?
4.      From my client machine i.e., windows platform I can able to connect to MySQL
by writing simple
C program using that C APIs. Then why it does not work with COBOL?

Thanks , any suggestion or help would be greatly appreciated.

Arun.