To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 5:01 PM
Subject: Re: 4.1.1 --old-paswords & 4.0.X clients

It would be nice to dump the confidentiality statement. Unfortunately, our
mail server adds it to the message as it's sent to the internet -- I have
no control over it. It's alright though since my message is "intended to
be for the use of the entity named above." In this case, the MySQL list
community!

As for the --old-password, it's looking to me like it's not that easy. I
think but don't know yet, that any new password created on the 4.1.1
server -- even with --old-passwords set -- uses the new algorithm. My
reading of the documentation, until somebody tells me, or I can prove
otherwise, is that --old-passwords only allows previously existing
passwords to be used -- i.e. only when an existing 4.0 server is upgraded
to 4.1. Any new passwords created on the new server must use the new
algorithm -- apparently even if you are using a 4.0 client log in as root
to create the password. At least, that's what is happening to me.

Thanks.

Randolph "Randy" L. Chrismon [EMAIL PROTECTED] Ph. 732-452-7610

Victor Medina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
01/08/2004 15:14