Sorry, my reply was incomplete, considering your question. You want Unix timestamp format, and you want it to default to the current time. Unfortunately, you can't do both. You can use a TIMESTAMP column, which will default to NOW (the default you want), or you can use an INT column and assign UNIX_TIMESTAMP() to it in your INSERT statement (the format you want).

Note that the 10 in INT(10) is the display size, not the size of the integer. You probably knew that, but just in case... Otherwise, "int(10) unsigned not null default 0" should be fine.

Michael

Keith Bussey wrote:

Quoting Michael Stassen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Defaults must be constants, not functions.

Ahh. Thanks for the info.

You want a TIMESTAMP column, not INT. See <http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/DATETIME.html>.

I want to store my time in unix timestamp format though, not in a mmddyy type.

Michael

Keith Bussey wrote:

Hi all,

I was wondering if it is possible to have the default value of an integer field be the current UNIX timestamp ?

MySQL doesn't allow me to use .... not null default UNIX_TIMESTAMP() .....

If anyone knows a way of achieving this, it would be great =)

Also, I currently use "int(10) unsigned not null default 0" for my unix timestamp fields, is there perhaps a more efficient field type I should be

using?

Thx