EP wrote:

OK, I need to ask a stupid question.

Obviously, MySQL can run on its own, not quite sure what you really mean by this though.

Amazing that it wasn't obvious to me, but I originally installed MySQL after installing Apache, based on home brew instructions that implied a dependency; then I always had Apache running when I used MySQL and was convinced of the flatness of the earth.

My problem on my 2nd machine _was_ :

Error 2003: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)

Long story short, now realizing the MYSQL error message had nothing to do with my Apache error messages, I looked and found the MySQL config. error -- fixed it, setting the port to 3306 in the ini file.

It's up!

Thanks!