* Antonio De Luna
> I've a second look to de csv file and the format of the date is
> 09/14/1988, so I think it's easier to load it to the mysql date
> format, could it be done using mysqlimport, or LOAD DATA INFILE  ??

You can read it into a varchar column and fix it later using something like
this:

1. Load the data, in this example the table is named "mytable" and the date
column is temprarily named "tmpdate".

2. Add a real date column, in this example named "datecol":
ALTER TABLE mytable ADD datecol DATE;

3. Create a valid date using CONCAT() and MID():
UPDATE mytable SET datecol = CONCAT(
  MID(tmpdate,7,4),'-',MID(tmpdate,1,2),'-',MID(tmpdate,4,2));

4. Check that everything is ok:
SELECT id,tmpdate,datecol FROM mytable;

5. Drop the temporary date column:
ALTER TABLE mytable DROP tmpdate;