EP wrote:

I am wondering:

I can see the MySQL data files for my various databases.

What technically prevents me from simply copying those files and using copies
- to move my database to another file structure or server
- to back-up my current db

Yes, I did put my finger in the electrical socket as a kid. But only several times.

A simple file copy works if:

a) No-one is accessing the database at the time, and
b) There is no database corruption

If you have database corruption, mysqldump will often be the first to know about it, as you're selecting all rows ( as opposed to other mysql clients which are selecting specific rows ). So using mysqldump and watching the output ( make a cron job and it'll email you the output ), you can catch database corruption early and have a good chance to do something about it, instead of simply copying corrupt files day after day until you finally don't have a valid backup around.

Dan

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer