And then Eve said...

>After some trouble with rpm, I managed to create a file of installed
>packages. Redhat 9 says I have installed:

>MySQL-client-4.0.1-2
>perl-DBD-MySQL-2.1021-3
>mysql-3.23.58-1.9
>mysql-server-3.23.58-1.9

That's right. That's what you get with RH9. I'm repeating myself here from
my email to you directly last evening, but I'd use the very clear, very
accurate manual to build and install from source given at
http://www.InternetSecurityGuru.com. Everything in that manual, related
especially to MySQL, works just as documented.

>And I am not having any luck with these...starting them, installing them,
>compiling them. I have read manuals, taken advice, but nothing
comprehensive
>to get things to work.

>I would prefer to install a version of at least 4 for a server.

The manual uses 4.0.16 but you could substitute whatever version you'd
like.

>Any help is appreciated!

Help was given. You refused it.

>Thanks,
>Eve

BTW, at a MySQL training course I attended, the instructor advised _NOT_
to go the rpm route.

dave