Hi John,

----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 2:28 AM
Subject: Re: How does key buffer work ?

> Matt,
>
> One last question and then I promise to drop the topic ... what would
be
> the best way to force a complete load of an index into the key buffer
?

It's no problem.  :-)   Sorry for the late reply.

Off hand, to force an index to be loaded I would say run queries that
scan each index.  e.g. SELECT index_col FROM table;

But remember the indexes will be unloaded from the key_buffer if the
table is closed -- after things like FLUSH, ALTER, OPTIMIZE, and maybe
more.

BTW, MySQL 4.1.1 added a new key cache system that looks like it has
more tunable stuff. From http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/News-4.1.x.html

"New key cache for MyISAM tables with many tunable parameters. You can
have multiple key caches, preload index into caches for batches..."

But I don't see anything documented about it yet. :-(

> Thanks very much for your time.
>
> John

You're welcome.

Matt