On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, tait sanders wrote:

> yep I've already done this.
> everything I do comes back with the same error:
> ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
>
> I even deleted the mysql.sock and used 'mysql_config --socket' to
> recreate it.
> this produces a new mysql.sock but then trying to start mysql produces
> the error of before.
>
> can i uninstall mysql rather than deleting it. I've tried the 'rpm'
> utility but it's not on my os.
>
> thanks heaps for all your help.

You can see if MySQL is actually running with ps.
If it is running you can see what socket it's using with `netstat -a |
grep mysql`
You can try to connect through tcp/ip instead of the socket by using -h
127.0.0.1 at the commandline.

If the server isn't up, the info should be in the error log why it doesn't
like to start.

cheers,
Tobias