Kind MySQL List,
I need your help.

I have an installation of replicated MySQL servers.
I am migrating to new servers and upgraded MySQL software.

My previous servers were RH8, MySQL 4.0.14. (A, B)
My new servers are Fedora, MySQL 4.0.17. (C, D)

Most of my critical data is built using INNODB tables.

The newer servers are faster, have more memory (4GB), dual processors, and 3ware raid 10s. They should (and normally do) run circles around the older servers.

The first step of my migration was to replicate my original servers to my new servers so all of the data is identical. (A->B->C->D).

After replicating successfully for two weeks I've switched to the new servers.

Here is my problem.

I create a nightly backup from the slave of each pair using:

myqldump -A -Q --opt ... | gzip > backupfile.sql.gz

On my older MySQL 4.0.14 boxes this works flawlessly.

On my newer MySQL 4.0.17 boxes I consistently get the following error:

mysqldump: Error 2013: Lost connection to MySQL server during query when dumping
table `RuleHistogram` at row: 189116

RuleHistogram is a large table - but the data is identical between the 4.0.14 boxes and the 4.0.17 boxes.

In addition the application software is experiencing occasional "freezes" on some queries with the newer servers... these "freezes" eventually clear, but that should not happen.

I have googled with no luck so far.

Where should I look for a solution?

Thanks!
_M