root can only connect through localhost until GRANTed permissions over the network.
Leave off the '-h inglewood'.
If you have not set the password yet, then you also should leave off the '-p' option.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

This is a new install of mysql 3.23 on a SuSE8.0 Box. I installd everythign via suse rpms. I ran mysql_install_db when I to run the update root password I get the following error. I'm logged into the server via ssh as root while exicuting the commands. any ideas.

inglewood:/etc # mysqladmin -u root -h inglewood -p password '******'
Enter password:
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'inglewood' failed
error: 'Host 'inglewood.studio3arc.com' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server'