on a related note how can you verify that you're actually using a prepared
statement (re: not reparsing)?

in Oracle you can watch ratio of executions/parse_calls in v$sqlarea but how can
you measure their effectiveness in mysql?

obviously you can infer it with comparative tests of execution time/CPU load but
is there a definitive/quantitative way to tell/measure?

just curious (though I freely admit I've yet to even download 4.1; still proof
of concepting on 4.0 so sorry if this is a RTM ?)...

Sid Lane
DBA - Site Operations
TWCi

|         |           Richard Tibbetts |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           rook.com>        |
|         |           01/22/2004 08:18 |

  |       To:       Brian Power <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                                 |
  |       cc:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                      |
  |       Subject:  Re: anybody used prepared statements in 4.1 succesfully?

Since you aren't using the C API directly, you should make sure your
API is actually using prepared statements. I don't know anything about
Connector/J, but for example, last I checked, the Perl DBI mysql
modules didn't really prepare statements when you called the prepare
method. This is of course because they haven't been upgraded to use
the new features yet.

Even if you did use the C API, I would be surprised if you get
prepared statements working successfully. In my experience they have
major bugs, at least in the current 4.1 alphas. Hopefully these bugs
get fixed real soon now.

Of course, if other people don't find prepared statements to be buggy,
I would love to hear about it, since I really, really want them to be
working properly.

Hope this helps,
Richard