Hey Roger,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Baklund"
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2004 7:09 PM
Subject: Re: A fun one

> You shouldn't use text columns for ip/name... ip addresses fits in an
> unsigned int

Yeah, I want to use an INT UNSIGNED column for IPs, which is great for
the space savings... except people have brought up the issue of IPv6
addresses (128-bit; 32 hex chars IIRC).  I've never personally seen an
IPv6 address yet, but I guess I will in the future.  And I'm concerned
about an INT not handling them. :-(  Of course, the people that mention
IPv6 are using VARCHAR(15) columns, which won't hold the addresses
either. :-D

So what do you think about the situation?  If we want to stick with
INT-based columns and handle IPv6, I guess we could use 2 BIGINT
columns. :-/  I just don't know when we're going to *need to* handle
IPv6...

Matt