Yes, MySQL is capable of using more than 2GB, but it still must obey the limits of the underlying OS. This means file sizes, memory allocation and whatever else. Have you heard of anybody allocating more the 2GB using OSX? I've heard of quite a bit more using Linux or other Unix flavors, but not OSX.

As for optimizing settings, you need to profile you work load. You may actually run into I/O, CPU or Network bottleneck before you hit a memory bottleneck. You need to run things and find where the bottleneck is to optimize performance.