Have you tried reworking your queries a bit? I try to avoid using "IN" as much as possible. What does EXPLAIN say about how the long queries are executed? If I have to match something against a lot of values, I select the values into a HEAP table and then do a join. Especially if YOU are going to be reusing the values within the current session.
Are you storing images (img1, img2, img3) in the database? I would recommend against that in a high load database, it bloats the database size forcing the database to use a lot more RAM to cache the database. It also prevents you from creating a database with fixed length records. Keeping the images as files will push the loading of the images out to the file system and web server.
What kind of RAID setup do you have? You just said you had 73GB 10K disks. Why didn't you go with 15k disks? Cost?