I have mysql 4.0.16 on my windows machine and have just installed suse linux on another machine. It comes with mysql 4.0.15. After I got the user setup I was able to use the mysql client on the windows machine to connect to mysql on the linux machine I even used mysqldump piped to mysql to dump a database to the new server. But now I can't seem to login anymore. I don't think I changed any settings on the linux machine so I am at a loss as to why I am getting this error.

ERROR 2013: Lost connection to MySQL server during query

That happens immediately after I type in mysql -h 192.168.1.2 -u cdw -pxxxxxx and hit enter.

Chris W