Hey David

I'm having the exact same prob except on Linux. However, I can connect from remote with almost any tool(SQLYog,MySqlCC,jdbc), just not localhost. So you might want to try one of these tools from local and remote and then modify the user table. Hope this helps. If you find the resolve, please let me know as I am fighting this too.

brian

David Perron wrote:

Hello -

Im trying to change the root password on a new mysql installation.  Im
running 4.1.1a-alpha on WindowsXP with Apache running.

I get the error below saynig access denied.  How do I get into the user
table as root if It wont allow me into the database?

Any help would be appreciated.

C:\mysql\bin>mysql
Your MySQL connection id is 20 to server version: 4.1.1a-alpha-nt

mysql> select database();
+------------+
| database() |
| NULL       |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> connect mysql
ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user: ''@'localhost' to database
'mysql'
mysql>

-- Brian Harris Application Developer OptData Inc./ATRS [EMAIL PROTECTED] (501)907.5912