On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 11:47:52PM -0000, Andrew Braithwaite wrote:
I believe MySQL 4.1 has support for ssl replication but it's still alpha at
the moment.

If you are referring to connecting to a MySQL server from an application to
query it then the following applies:

---from the manual---
When you connect to a MySQL server, you normally should use a password. The
password is not transmitted in clear text over the connection, however the
encryption algorithm is not very strong, and with some effort a clever
attacker can crack the password if he is able to sniff the traffic between
the client and the server. If the connection between the client and the
server goes through an untrusted network, you should use an SSH tunnel to
encrypt the communication.

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Security.html

Thanks for the link. I am mostly concerned with data security. I'll
probably wind up using ssh or stunnel.

-- Jim Richardson http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock I'll get a life when it is proven and substantiated to be better than what I am currently experiencing.