--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote ---
> i've never set up tunnels and such, but are you sure that your ssh
> tunnel is also listening on localhost (i.e. 127.0.0.1)? i once had a
> problem like that with my apache, and it turned out that it only
> listened on 'real' IPs....

Yeah, the tunnels work perfectly if I do this:

mysql -u root -p -P 3306 -h 127.0.0.1 database_name

Blazing fast (same subnet), almost as fast as a local connection. The
server load on the client end dropped like a rock too when I stopped the
local MySQL copy (the tunnel to the remote MySQL is what I want to use :).

It's just that the scripts and client aren't poking 127.0.0.1 via TCP/IP
-- they check sockets and die when the socket isn't there.

> cheers and good luck,

Thanks!