--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote ---
> In this case it might be easier for you to just modify the MySQL
> source to disable looking for the socket, and treat localhost as
> 127.0.0.1.
>
> --Pete

Pete,

I've considered that (and I'm going to try it on a development box).
Unfortunately the target of this messy operation is a production system
with a few hundred customers, and my employer would lynch me if I
casually announced we can no longer use packaged (standard) MySQL
binaries. :)

I was hoping there was some tweak that could be made in, say, my.cnf, but
I imagine that only affects the MySQL client binary and not *anything*
build from the library.

Thanks for the suggestion though; I will try it on a development box.