The Hot backup/dump tools use the mysql server to create a live backup while the server is running. On MyIsam tables, I think they are locked during the entire process.. innodb may be different.

You can backup the DB files directly, but, the mysql server MUST be shut down to do so.. which is likely not what you want. Since lots of information may be sitting in the buffers when you copy the files, along with file-close checks and such, you would only get partial data backups, which would be far less effective to restore from. When the mysql server is shut down, those buffers would all be sent to disk. Any remaining FS/OS buffers would be honored by the FS call for copy. So, yes it works fine if the files are copied when the server is off.

I am about to switch to innodb myself, and I am simply going to have to buy the Innodb hot backup tool to make full backups. however, do not forget that even those are out of date the moment the backup is done ;) Replication is your best friend, next to your Dog of course,

--
Adam Goldstein
White Wolf Networks